Monday, February 16, 2009

Athletes are pushing their bodies to the limit

By: Beth Croughan

More and more headlines are shedding light on the risks athletes are exposing themselves to throughout their playing years; from concussions to weight problems later in life. And at Syracuse University, where division one sports are a priority, some athletes are pushing themselves and their bodies to the limits.


23-year-old Jordan Davis runs over 100 miles every week.


He's working towards joining the ranks of a very elite group of athletes. The four-minute mile club. Jordan has been running for over nine years. And his body has begun to see the effects of all that working out.


“When I was 18 years old, compared to now I’m 23, it takes me longer to feel better running in the mornings, instead of taking 15 minutes to feel better, it takes me 40 minutes.” Jordan Davis

And Jordan Davis is not alone. Megan Skelly is the leading scorer for the Syracuse University Women's Hockey team.


“I think your joints wear down in any sport…but that comes with any sport, my playing hockey outweighs any personal toughness down the road.” Megan Skelly


Aside from aches and pains, Megan and Jordan have played through some serious injuries. Jordan suffered a broken foot and continued to race, while Megan stepped out on the ice with a torn Achilles tendon. Both of the athletes have said it’s difficult to sit out.


But that's when Syracuse University Athletic Trainer Denny Kellington, says players need to take responsibility for themselves and address serious injuries when they arise. “Disrupting a joint,” Kellington says, could potentially lead to arthritis down the road.


And if athletes don’t take care of their bodies once their playing career is over, Kellington says they could also experience other unhealthy side effects, like weight gain. But Kellington says playing collegiate sports has significant health benefits like lower cholesterol and a decreased chance of diabetes.


And for runner Jordan Davis, he says the personal benefits he sees from running, are greater, than any potential risks.


“I’m pretty sure when I’m 50 I’m going to need to get some kind of knee surgery, or back surgery, or hip surgery, something is going to go wrong, but to be honest with you, I’m 23 and I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing until I can’t do it anymore and even when I can’t do it anymore, I’m probably still going to run.” Jordan Davis

1 comment: